Friday, October 3, 2008

Clothing



I am not a clothes horse. Nor have I any sense of fashion. When I shop for clothes or shoes, it's pure functionality and takes me as little time as absolutely possible. And it ain't often that it happens either.

However, I can't seem to help shopping for clothes for Kiki. I love looking at little girl clothes. I love the idea of dressing her up. Finances being what they are though, I've kept myself tightly in rein. Outfits I've bought her range max out at about $5 (sales at Wal-Mart or the consignment store.)

Shoes are definitely a foreign fashion thing for me; I didn't even start putting any on her until she was 9 months old or so. And evidently I don't know from cute. I bought her a pair of brown Pooh shoes at the consignment store for $3 (perfect condition! not shiny!) and I thought they were adorable. Bri immediately decided they were boy's shoes, and either to get my goat or because everyone is dense, the household sided with her.

They are NOT boy's shoes. Boy's shoes don't have the strappies on the top. They just don't. Do they? But they are brown, they have Pooh on them, and they look a little bit like hiking boots.

ANYWAY. I ended up splurging at a real department store the other night and bought her two rompers and some actual tights (!!!!) They were on sale, because I'm still cheap at heart.

We met Daddy for lunch today at the family restaurant, so I dolled her all up. I wasn't prepared for what she'd look like in a romper and tights though.

She looked like a little girl. Not a baby girl. A little girl. Look how big she is! Look how long her legs are getting!

I admit it. I cried a little. It's back to shorts for a few more weeks until Mommy toughens up.

Addendum: I forgot to mention that I've finally stopped tweaking my template. For now. I go through these phases where I have to change the look of the site, and then I find a template I like, and then I upload it and then.... all my widgets get wiped. Wiped! I'll figure out how to get around that some day. I think this is the 5th time I've had to rebuild my blog roll.

And I'm still adding blogs to the blog roll.

The other thing. One of Kipp's co-workers joined us for lunch. Right now Kipp is training in one of the local stores as part of his overall training on the help desk. Anywho, we're sitting and eating, and doing the whole huzzah, it's Friday, and whatnot.

Kipp says that today went faster for him than the day before. His co-worker disagreed and said the day before went faster for him because it was so busy.

Only he didn't stop at "It was so busy."

He said, "It was so busy, it was retarded."

Right in front of Kiki. I mean, not that she'd notice right now (she's still having a little trouble distinguishing "dog" from "please" so vocabulary isn't likely to traumatize her today.)

I wanted to say something, but I didn't know what to say. Even if I knew what to say, how would I have said it? It was obviously said so obliviously, so casually, so unintentionally. But I mean, Kiki was right there so I have to think, "Do you even know what that word means? Do you know what you just said? Do you know who your immediate audience is?"

It was kind of surreal. I don't even know how else to describe it. I know this isn't probably the right reaction, but even though it initially got my attention -- zzzzzZZZING! -- it didn't really hurt or offend me. I think it was becaue the context was so obviously... umm, weird. I don't know. I honestly don't.

But I do know I passed up an opportunity to advocate. Although in all honesty, really? To what end in this case?

I think maybe I should just buy the poor guy a pocket dictionary.

5 comments:

Stephanie October 3, 2008 at 7:27 PM  

Congratulations on the "atti-two-des. Aiden started getting his about that time also.

Oh, and I added you to our blog roll. :)

Jennie October 3, 2008 at 7:29 PM  

What a cutie!!!

Megan October 3, 2008 at 7:34 PM  

My standard "come back" to the "R" word is just a simple, "I don't like that word". I've found you don't really need further explanation. It's simple, to the point, and brings it to their attention.

Sister Kristin October 4, 2008 at 12:51 PM  

One of the side benefits to teaching 8th grade is that I get to advocate for the end of the use of the words "gay" and "retarded" so flippantly. No matter who says it, I think you need to mention gently that it's not OK to misuse words. Any words. You would correct someone who said "irregardless" or "Nuke-u-lar" wouldn't you (lord, I hope so because those 2 sit on my head and crush it)? So other misuses should be gently called attention to as well.

Michelle October 9, 2008 at 7:36 AM  

she does look like a big girl!

I know that word is so misused now, but it doesn't even make any sense in the context that he used it! It was so busy so it was retarded? Huh?

I find it difficult to say anything to people too. Several weeks ago we were having dinner with a bunch of Joe's coworkers and we were at a table with another family and their 2 girls (one of whom is in Kayla's Kindergarten class and have become fast friends) and this mom used that word (not sure if you remember my post awhile back about Joe's softball game and hearing a mom say it to her daughter? yup, this was the same lady!) When I took Kayla to the bathrom the other girls went too. Several minutes after we came back she said the word again but this time immediately followed with, "stupid. sorry." I asked Joe afterwards if he said something to her while we were in the bathroom and he did. She was very apologetic and said she didn't realize etc.

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP