Saturday, October 18, 2008

Almost caught up!



You know, here's the thing. I can't help but admire Sarah Palin. I don't like her politics, I don't like her mob rousing, but I have to give her enormous kudos for being out there.

I remember what I was like when Kiki was Trig's age. Her first year was easily the most rawly emotional and overwhelming year of my entire life. In my heart I don't believe that Palin is using her son as a political platform (I think McCain and his campaign are, but that is incidental). In my heart I think that when she was offered the position of running mate, she jumped at the chance to get into the spotlight, to take the opportunity to make a better world for her son, for all her children. Whether or not I agree with her ideology in that regard is incidental.

The point is that she took action to deal with this very real, very big thing in her life, at a time that I recall for myself being so frightening and surreal. I see her out there cutting ribbons on the opening of a dwelling for adults who have Ds. I see her out there meeting with people and families of people who have Ds, connecting, and I can imagine that it gives her hope, strength, fortitude -- all the things that she is then returning by having Trig in the spotlight, showing him off with pride and love.

So. My anger just sparked off because of McCain during the debate, turning her life into a political platform when he himself has no clue, as evidenced by his apparent inability to distinguish autism from Ds (yeah, I read all the spin later about his "apparent" slip. Whatever. I am not so convinced.) I directed that at her, but that's all McCain. Gah.

Okay. I'm done talking about politics.

In our own current news, I have to report that the Your Baby Can Read program is a big hit around here. Kiki LOVES watching the videos. And she recognizes "clap" and "arms up"! I am so not making this up. I'm hesitant to call it really reading, but on the other hand... she responds when she sees the words, before she hears them, so...

(I just noticed it's out of stock though...)

Once a day I watch the video with her, and once a day I let her watch it alone. At the very end of the video there's a section that begins with a young girl saying, "Parents, show this section occasionally to your children."

I swear, if you're in the other room barely paying attention, it sounds like she says, "Parents occasionally show deception to their children."

Which may be true and all, but don't tell her that NOW! Sheesh. She'll figure it out when she's a teenager, and I'll deal with it then.

2 comments:

Stephanie October 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM  

I'm not a fan of her either...

Michelle October 23, 2008 at 8:44 PM  

I didn't get a chance to watch the debate, but I heard all about McCain's continued reference to autism and not mentioning Ds and I wondered if anyone would question him about that...so what did you read/hear about his "spin on the slip"? what was his explanation? I'm curious to know what he said about that.

We have the Your Baby Can Read videos...we didn't follow the whole schedule like it said so no, Kayla isn't sight reading all those words, but I think it does help. I had to laugh at what you wrote about that section- I never heard it that way LOL there is one part though - every time they say "bucket" I hear something totally different, replace the "b" with an "f" and that's what I hear! Yikes!

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP