Wednesday, October 15, 2008

(3) And another thing....

While we're talking about politics, the whole health insurance thing... okay. Deep breath.

McCain's proposed health plan would provide $5000 to every uninsured family so that they could go ahead and purchase their own insurance. Great! Except that the plan does not require health insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions.

This means our family would never qualify for the $5000 because my husband has diabetes. I know this because a couple of years ago I attempted to get us private insurance, and was turned down during the phone call, without even getting any paperwork first, when I mentioned the diabetes. I called at least six large health insurance companies, and even the local hospital insurance programs. Same story all around.

I suspect, but do not know, that the same would be for insuring Kiki.

I do not know enough about "high-risk pools" in "some states" to offer any opinion in that regard.

Also, his health care plan proposes taxing health care benefits provided by employers. Okay, first of all, in my experience getting health insurance through an employer, I still had to pay for it. Not all of it. So let's say I had to pay $127 every two weeks for family health insurance coverage, and the company is absorbing half that cost. That means that in addition to paying $127 every two weeks for my health insurance, I have to pay an addition $30 in taxes (or something). That means I'm paying $4080 a year for the health insurance that everyone else is getting $5000 a year for. So you tell me. Wouldn't you then push your employer to NOT provide health insurance?

That is, of course, unless you have diabetes.

1 comments:

datri October 16, 2008 at 2:57 PM  

I think Obama's health insurance plan is a bit pie in the sky, but McCain's scares me to death. We pay $15,000 a year for health insurance for a family of 4, including my 4 year old with Down syndrome. In NY, group plans must take preconditions. So, not only would McCain's $5000 tax credit come nowhere near what it costs to buy health insurance, but he would get rid of the regulation in our state that requires the group insurer to cover pre-existing condtions.

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP