Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hot and cold

From about November last year to January, Kiki seemed to be constantly congested or snotty or sneezy or somehow sick. Since her change to gluten-free, she's had none of that. (I don't know if it's coincidental. I'm just saying.)

Until a couple of days ago. And then she got congested. And then she ate dirt. And then the night before last, I forgot to turn the heater on when we went to bed and woke up to a 60 degree house and a very, very cold and pissed off baby.

She's been running a fever since yesterday. I've been filling her with fluids and ice cream (because she's very grumpy about eating when she's sick. She's hungry, mind you, and she wants FOOD NOW only she doesn't want THAT FOOD, she wants YOU GUESS AND IT BETTER BE A GOOD GUESS!). I was really worried yesterday because she only partially wet about two diapers, but today she seems back to normal in that regard.

If she's still feverish tomorrow, I'm taking her in. I'm sure it's probably a sinus infection by now, but I was hoping with enough fluids, Benadryl and Tylenol I'd be able to stave it off and keep her from having to have antibiotics. But three days with a fever is my limit, dammit.

Does she act sick?

Other than the eating thing, nope. Not a bit.

She does sleep well though.

4 comments:

starrlife March 13, 2009 at 4:46 AM  

I know how much of a pain constant stuffiness can be! What helped me was way decreased cow's milk and a hot steam humidifier every day the heat is on. Also, once my child got ear tubes and her adenoids out she gets almost no colds and clears up much quicker when she does get one! PS- I am not a health nut by any extreme but when I cut back on cows milk her eczema outbreaks decreased. I do know that it was worst when she was teething too. Good luck with the fever thing! Poor Kiki! Poor mommy!

datri March 13, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Poor Kiki! Hope she feels better soon. She acts just like Kayla acts when she's sick. I actually just got back from Urgent Care and Kayla has an ear infection (I didn't think she would still get those with tubes) and a sinus infection. Sigh. Kayla also had diarrhea earlier this week, but I attribute that to the gobs of chocolate cake (obviously NOT gluten free!) she had at a birthday party. But how can you say no to birthday cake?

starrlife March 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

Datri- that might mean the tubes are out since she shouldn't get infections if they are draining properly. Our daughters have fallen out/grown out 3 times since originally placed.

Jeannie March 16, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

Oh my, I can see some pain in the future when Kiki wants regular birthday cake and I won't let her have any. I'll have to cave, too, I think. (Tho at the moment, you should hear me lecture everyone who goes into the living room with non-gluten-free food. Oh, the eye rolling and the chorus of "We KNOW! We KNOW!")

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP