Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Alpoecia Confirmed

So we went to the dermatologist today. He did not flirt with my girl. He just pulled on her hair. And then he said the following.

It is an autoimmune reaction. It usually happens in adults and young adults, and can usually be treated with things like Rogaine. But we cannot treat Kiki, because they can't use those same meds with a child younger than 2.

Now most often when people have alopecia, it will spontaneously start growing back all by itself. Except when they show the same balding patterns as Kiki, which is to say balding along the bottom, and huge patches on the back of her head.

Because she has this particular kind of alopecia, it puts her in an even higher risk category of developing autoimmune thyroid disease.

We will bring her back in 4 months, when she is 2, and it's possible we may be able to treat with Rogaine. It's more possible that she will lose more hair, and all of the hair loss will be permanent.

Oh wait. No, that would have been the GENTLE way to put it. This is actually how he phrased it.

"Come back in four months. If her hair shows signs of regrowth, we'll try topical Rogaine treatments. I suspect however that there won't be signs of regrowth, and that she'll have lost more of her hair. And in that case, I will recommend that you shave her head and go for the Sinead O'Connor look or buy her some wigs."

Nice.

3 comments:

Stephanie December 31, 2008 at 12:06 PM  

WOW!!! Can you get a second opinion?

Jeannie December 31, 2008 at 1:01 PM  

Well, I've been doing some internet research today and found out there are links between alopecia arreata and celiac disease which is common in children with Ds. So now I think what I'm going to do is switch her to a gluten-free diet and have her tested for celiac disease. But yeah, you're right -- I should also ask her ped to send us elsewhere for another opinion. Or at least complain about the derm's beside manner. Yeesh.

Sister Kristin January 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

Did he actually SAY that last?? I would have slugged him. Verbally, of course.

"Excuse me, but do you think this is a JOKE? Because I'm not finding your light approach amusing in the least."

Then stare at him, expecting an answer.

(I am a scary teacher, oh yes I am).

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP